Hello, I am Mrs Hilton, I am the Learning Mentor at Bryn, St.Peter's.
I thoroughly enjoy my role here at Bryn, St.Peter's because it is so varied and extremely rewarding, there is never a dull moment!
Here is what I do:-
- I monitor pupils attendance and punctuality, supporting families in this area when it is required.
- I support children that may have barriers to learning which are social or emotional.
- I work alongside all staff members to support our pupils in their learning journey.
- I can offer support and advise to families that may have concerns about their children at home and signpost families on to outside agencies for further support if it is required.
- I organise and support pupil led groups within school, such as our wonderful Peer Mentors, Playzone leaders and our School Leadership Team.
- I run afterschool clubs such as cookery clubs and transition groups.
- I am always on hand first thing in the morning and at the end of the day to liase between parents and
Cookery club is offered as an afterschool activity. Children are taught basic cooking skills, creating healthy recipes and learning about safety and hygiene.
Our Peer mentors are children from Year 6 that have volunteered to support our KS1 children during lunch and playtimes. They spend that time making sure that all of the younger children have a friend to play with and they help out if there are any disagreements between friends. They are also excellent role models for our younger children in school.
Our Playzone Leaders are children from Y5 that volunteer at lunchtimes to provide fun activities for our KS1 children to join in with. Activities such as ring games, hopscotch, soft ball games, skittles and much more. This ensures that KS1 children are kept busy and enjoy their playtime.
As part of my role, I encourage parents/carers to engage with school. Coffee mornings are an ideal time for people to do this.
We meet for a chat, to share ideas and make suggestions whilst younger siblings engage in play.
Coffee mornings run every Friday morning from 9am to 10am. There is no cost, just come along, get to meet other parents/carers whilst enjoying a cuppa and a biscuit.
Occasionally we have 'special' coffee mornings where we organise cake sales, raffles and games in order to raise funds for charities.