Design and Technology
Welcome to the Design Technology page
In DT we provide opportunities for each child, in each topic, to design, make and evaluate their final product. This also includes the designing, making and evaluating of different foods.
Here is our Statement of Intent for the Design Technology curriculum:
Design and Technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject. Design and Technology encourages children to learn to think and intervene creatively to solve problems both as individuals and as members of a team. It requires children to be active learners with the confidence to ‘have a go,’ and the resilience to persist with a project when challenges occur.
At Bryn St. Peter’s the Design and Technology curriculum combines skills, knowledge, concepts and values to enable children to tackle real problems. It can improve critical analysis, problem solving, and practical capability and evaluation skills. We aim to, wherever possible, link work to other subject areas such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art thereby enabling pupils to notice connections and patterns in their learning. We also aim to, wherever possible, build relationships with local businesses and members of the school community.
Through Design Technology children are encouraged to become innovators and risk-takers. High-quality Design and Technology education makes an essential contribution to the creativity, culture, wealth and well-being of the nation.
Our In DT curriculum aims are:
- To develop imaginative thinking in children and to enable them to talk about what they like and dislike when designing and making;
- To enable children to talk about how things work, and to draw and model their ideas;
- To encourage children to select appropriate tools and techniques for making a product, whilst following safe procedures;
- To foster enjoyment, satisfaction and purpose in designing and making;
- To use ICT software to assist our designing and learning.